We believe that everyone benefits from their biological information. It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA.
With our high-quality, trusted partners and state-of-the-art lab, we’ve created the first platform of personalized products and services powered by genetics. From advanced cancer screening to custom fitness and nutrition plans, the world of DNA learning is becoming more accessible and more valuable than ever.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers. We’re looking for the best and brightest minds who are passionate about our mission and are excited to work on a truly diverse team.
The Helix Bioinformatics team is seeking a passionate and motivated senior full-stack engineer to join our cross-functional team to develop and apply cutting-edge approaches to processing, analyzing, annotating, and interpreting population-scale human genome sequence data. High quality internal software applications that leverage this data is a key piece of our ability to deliver insights to internal business and scientific teams, customers, and partners. If you like the idea of building analytical bioinformatics applications from the ground up toward changing the way everyone understands their DNA, then this is the ideal opportunity for you.
Who you are:
- Curious and passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsible and open to be guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication style
- Flexible with a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective toward the Helix mission
- Have an amazing record of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
- Excited about modeling all kinds of biological data, both medical and non-medical
As a Senior Bioinformatics Software Engineer, you will:
- Design and build web-based applications for use by internal scientific and business stakeholders
- Integrate with genomics knowledgebases
- Integrate with existing and building new internal and external APIs
- Architect a system that is highly secure and performant
- BS+ in Computer Science; coursework in genetics/bioinformatics a plus
- Experience developing web-applications from end-to-end
- Experience building service oriented architectures, APIs and SDKs
- Experience building ETL pipelines for common public genomics databases a plus
- Proficiency with distributed systems built on cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Command of data modeling, data stores (relational, graph, NoSQL), query optimization
- Affinity for an engineering culture that emphasizes Agile, DevOps, and continuous delivery
- Ability to be self-driven and work well together in a cross-functional and interdisciplinary team
- Able to communicate results and concepts to a diverse audience including geneticists, engineers, laboratory scientists and business development professionals
- Keen attention to detail
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Great benefits, including medical, dental and vision
- 401k with employer matching
- 12 weeks paternity and maternity leave
- Generous vacation policy
- Commuter benefits
- Gym subsidies