We believe that everyone benefits from their biological information. It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. With our high-quality, trusted partners and state-of-the-art lab, we’ve created the first platform of personalized products and services powered by genetics. From inherited cancer screening to custom fitness and nutrition plans, the world of DNA learning is becoming more accessible and more valuable than ever.
So far we’ve raised over $100 million from investors like Illumina (the world’s leader in genetic sequencing equipment), Warburg Pincus, Sutter Hill Ventures, and Kleiner Perkins. Our app store and marketplace include partners such as National Geographic, Admera Health, Vinome and many others, with whom we have partnered to develop applications which interpret your genome.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers. We’re looking for the best and brightest minds who are passionate about our mission and are excited to work with a truly diverse team.
The Helix IT team is seeking a passionate Systems Administrator who wants to build out and support the applications that process our consumer DNA data, work with our lab operations and science teams, and create solutions for secure stable infrastructure. Bring your deep systems and networking experience into a new and innovative field with incredible potential. If you like the idea of working with some of the most important consumer health data, devising novel solutions to protect privacy, ensure stability, and enjoy working with incredibly passionate colleagues in a startup environment, then this is the ideal opportunity for you.
Helix’s engineering culture emphasizes:
- Curiosity - we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility - we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility - flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Experience - we’re building a team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environment
As a Linux Systems Administrator, you will:
- Manage local IT network, Linux and VMWare systems and any processes related to these systems including day-to-day operations, problem resolution, upgrades and maintenance for all of the physical and virtual servers, networking and storage devices.
- Provide guidance on network/firewall changes
- Work with 3rd party providers to configure and manage UNIX and Windows servers
- Provide basic networking support including cable patching
- Provide Tier 1 (Help Desk) problem identification, diagnosis and problem resolution for local user group
- Respond as needed to after-hours incidents as required in a 24x7 production environment
- Responsibilities include but not limited to: Application upgrades, network management, virtual server deployments, server upgrades, NAS management, system updates, Linux and Mac troubleshooting. Skills required: Linux (Ubuntu), VMWare, Apple, EMC, Cisco, DNS, Networking
- Be the expert on end-to-end data flows, systems stability, and operational stability of our lab systems
- Proactively identify and implement enhancements and optimizations of our systems on boarding processes ensuring efficient systems implementation
- Design and implement an end to end lab system monitoring environment
- A passion for improving people’s lives through access to better information about their DNA
- 6+ years experience in information systems administration including Linux, VMWARE, Windows, EMC, Palo Alto Networks, and Cisco
- Very familiar with networking protocols, firewall rules, certifications such as ACE, PCNSE, CCNA
- Very experienced managing production systems
- Demonstrated proficiency in bash, Python, or Perl
- Excellent communication skills to document and explain change management and system design
- BS+ in Computer Science or equivalent experience required