We believe that everyone benefits from their biological information. It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. With our high-quality, trusted partners and state-of-the-art lab, we’ve created the first platform of personalized products and services powered by genetics. From advanced cancer screening to custom fitness and nutrition plans, the world of DNA learning is becoming more accessible and more valuable than ever.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers. With the backing of investors like Illumina, KPCB, Warburg Pincus and Sutter Hill, we’re looking for the brightest minds passionate about our mission and excited to work at an early-stage startup on a truly diverse team.
Helix is building a high-throughput genetics laboratory using next generation sequencing to provide genomics scale information to our clients. We're excited to deliver novel genomic insights to our customers and the laboratory is the foundation of our ability to supply high quality, accurate and reproducible genomic data.
We are searching for a highly motivated, independent and team oriented Data Analyst to join our growing team in San Diego. As a Data Analyst in the Helix team you will work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment to provide technical review of customer’s DNA sequencing results that will be used in cutting-edge clinical genetics applications.
As a Data Analyst, you will:
- Review high volume NGS results, both primary and secondary metrics, as part of the data release process for clinical samples.
- Track samples from DNA sequencing raw results thru to passing QC thresholds to ensure timely reporting of clinical results.
- Use systematic problem-solving methods to troubleshoot complex issues related to quality of results.
- Help to establish best practices for analysis of results in compliance with clinical lab quality regulations. Document plans, processes and results accordingly.
- Perform analyses of processes, identify gaps and deficiencies in the data analysis workflow. Help design controlled experiments to optimize processes to achieve commercial levels of stability, robustness, and performance.
- Present clear and concise written and oral communications to colleagues and supervisors, lead and/or participate in technical meetings, and provide recommendations based on technical results.
- Provide technical leadership in the transfer of new processes to clinical production.
- All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
- PhD or equivalent experience in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field.
- 3-5 years experience in the analyses of NGS data.
- Strong data analysis skills, ability to interpret and draw conclusions from large amounts of data.
- High level of attention to detail.
Ideal candidate will have:
- Strong understanding of next generation DNA sequencing process from raw data, alignment to analysis of QC metrics.
- Experience with BaseSpace
- Ability to read log files.
- Motivated, enthusiastic, hard-working, positive individual who desires to be part of a fast-paced, dynamic development environment.
- High level problem solving and reasoning skills.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help Helix build a state of the art, high throughput, NGS-based clinical production laboratory. If you like the idea of contributing to a production scale clinical laboratory, then this is the ideal opportunity for you.
What Helix has to offer you
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Catered meals
- Unlimited vacation
- Commuter benefits
- Gym subsidy