We believe that everyone benefits from their biological information. It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA.
With our high-quality, trusted partners and state-of-the-art lab, we’ve created the first platform of personalized products and services powered by genetics. From advanced cancer screening to custom fitness and nutrition plans, the world of DNA learning is becoming more accessible and more valuable than ever.Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers. We’re looking for the best and brightest minds who are passionate about our mission and are excited to work on a truly diverse team.
What’s important to us:
- Curiosity - we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility - we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility - flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Experience - we’re building a team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
As a Director of Engineering, Platform, you will:
- Drive fast-paced execution of the Helix platform roadmap and key technology investments to build the world’s largest genomics platform from scratch – there is no legacy code to maintain, so start with a blank canvas to shape the technology, company, and industry!
- Use your technical judgment to guide the platform, amplify best practices for our Golang and AWS stack, and champion an engineering culture emphasizing Agile, DevOps, and 100% continuous integration and deployment
- Lead and mentor a team of passionate engineers to build a high-quality genetics software platform
- Be a great recruiter to help grow the Helix team and find enthusiastic, innovative engineers to join the team
- Meet with Helix partners and build relationships with technical leaders
- Collaborate closely with product management and design teams in an agile environment – engineering at Helix is a team sport!
- Contribute to non-critical path coding and implementation
- 10+ years development experience in Java, C#, C++, Python, or Rails, including expertise with data modeling and data stores (relational, NoSQL)
- 5+ years managing senior and principal-level individual contributors
- Track record of creating and shipping successful large-scale platforms with APIs, SDKs, and a healthy developer ecosystem
- Interest or experience in Golang
- 4+ years experience building service-oriented architectures and proficiency with distributed systems built on the cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience hiring and managing a team of strong engineers
- Experience working with partners to build relationships and reach shared goals
- BS+ in Computer Science required; coursework in genetics/bioinformatics a plus
- Great problem-solving skills and experience with some or all of these areas: software platforms, consumer applications, genomics
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Great benefits, including medical, dental and vision
- 401k with employer matching
- 12 weeks paternity and maternity leave
- Generous vacation policy
- Commuter benefits
- Gym subsidies